Thanksgiving is back on November 23 2017, and so is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade!
There’s no parade in the world that promises so many huge balloons, marching bands and costumes, and whether you’ve got kids or not, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade 2017 is set to be something special. But where do you need to go to get the best views? What else is happening, other than the parade?
Check below for all the information you’ll need to make this Macy’s Parade the best one yet.
Where to watch
There are lots of cool places to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade. The parade starts at 77th Street and Central Park West, just south of the American Museum of Natural History. It then heads down Central Park West to 59th Street, then east to 6th Avenue. At 6th Avenue, the parade makes its way south along 6th Avenue, all the way MACY’s itself at Herald Square, at 34th Street.
|Event||Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade 2017|
|Address||Departure is from 77th Street and Central Park West, just south of the American Museum of Natural History|
|Getting There||Watch from different locations|
- You might find fewer crowds if you watch the parade from inside the Shops at Columbus Circle. Try the second and third floors of the mall to see the parade heading along Central Park West. From here you’ll also see the Holiday Under the Stars light display. Go early at 9am and stay here, it’s warmer than outside!
- Sixth Avenue is a good place if you’re heading to the parade a bit later. The floats and balloons reach 6th Avenue and 59th Street at roughly 9:30 am, so get to this 21-block portion at 7am ish. We said it was early!
- Along Central Park West is a good idea from from 9 am to 10:30 am. Viewing is good on the west side of 75th Street, two blocks away from the parade’s official starting point. Remember that the east side of the street (along Central Park) is closed for the grandstand seats.
Where not to watch?
Avoid anywhere near to 34th Street/Herald Square, it will be way too crowded, especially for little kids!
|Event name||MACY’s Thanksgiving Parade 2017|
|Where to watch|
|Getting There||Subway or on foot (but stay away from W34th due to crowds)|
Remember, other than the parade, there’s a host of entertainment happening around the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade 2017.
|Performers||Amongst others, The Radio City Rockettes, Angelica Hale, Smokey Robinson, Wyclef Jean, 98 Degrees and Andy Grammer will all be performing! Find out more|
|Clowns||Not everyone likes clowns but you won’t have anything to fear from the Toy Blocks, the Ragdoll Clowns, the Springtime Clowns or any of the other kid-friendly clowns in the line-up! Find out more|
There’s a lot more going on during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade 2017, one of the most exciting events in New York City. To find out more, visit the official Macy’s parade page!
There’s plenty more to do in New York this Thanksgiving. Check it out!
Latest posts by Becky Wicks (see all)
- Get your freak on! How to spend Halloween 2018 in NYC - October 16, 2018
- What to do for a spooktacular Halloween in Dublin - October 2, 2018
- 7 reasons why Amsterdam is better in summer - August 16, 2018