If you’re looking for things to do in Amsterdam on St Patrick’s Day (Saturday March 17, 2018), including where to watch the Six Nations Rugby, pack your big green hats and fake beards, and look no further. Here are the Tiqets’ top St Paddy’s Day options.
St. Patrick’s Irish Festival Amsterdam, 2018
The 2018 St. Patrick’s Irish Festival Amsterdam is a Dutch-Irish collaboration held every year to celebrate Irish music, arts and culture in Amsterdam. There’s loads going on at Splendour (a central Amsterdam entertainment venue) but highlights include an evening of words and music with Booker-Prize-winning Irish author John Banville, a workshop with animator Rory Conway, from the Oscar nominated Irish studio Cartoon Saloon, and late night Irish traditional music and céilí dancing.
Six Nations Rugby
17 March, 3.30PM
Watch the Irish rugby team play England live on the big screen directly from Twickenham on Saturday, starting at 3.30pm. The match will be shown at various venues but here are our picks. It might be an idea to bring waterproof clothing – beer will be spilled.
- Belushi’s – With Happy Hour from 10 am till midnight and burgers, and wings and bar snacks to help soak up the beer, Belushi’s (close to Dam Square) is a top rugby-watching spot
- The Tara – This central International pub offers three different bars. Mingle in five interconnected rooms and stay post-game for great dining options
- Molly Malone’s – The annual St. Patrick’s Day party with live music gets pretty rowdy at this cosy canalside pub, but their big screens make it an intimate place to cheer on your team
- O’Reilly’s Amsterdam – Just behind the palace on Dam Square this busy Irish pub promises quality coverage, excellent drinks, plus free wifi for all your rugby selfies
- The Three Sisters – With 27 TV screens and a kitchen that’s open from 10 am to midnight, this is a popular place. Try to get one of the 16 Chesterfield armchairs to watch the game!
Amsterdam Wine Festival
16 March, 3pm – 1am, 17 March, 1pm – 1am, 18 March, 1pm – 10pm
Can’t stand the thought of all that beer being sloshed? Come slosh wine about instead. The Amsterdam Wine Festival will be getting people tipsy at Westergasfabriek all weekend with the best wines from South Africa, Argentina and New Zealand. It’s 5,000 m2 of boozy fun including all the tastings you can handle, a wine quiz, a grape pitch contest and workshops by wine growers. Sublime FM presents bands and DJs, too. Come with your dancing shoes tied tightly. Ticket includes glass € 12.50 (ex fee)
Get sham-rocked at the Hard Rock Cafe
The Hard Rock Cafe Amsterdam is pretty proud of their St. Paddy’s Burger – a Guinness Bacon Cheeseburger available from Monday 12th – Sunday 18th March 2018 as a rockin’ tribute to the Irish national holiday. On Sat 17th only, flash your Irish passport for 50% off your cheeseburger from 11am-2pm.
Soul with a Capital S
17 March, 10pm – 3am
Looking to dance off all the booze? Amsterdam Roest brings soul back to the dance floor on St. Patrick’s Day, led by resident DJ Lucas Benjamin (Wicked Jazz Sounds / MORE BOUNCE – Collective). Burn off the beers or just drink even more to the sounds of Motown classics and modern R&B. Better still, it’s free!